5/18/07

Awesome Cover Friday: Now With Repulsor Rays!

Hey, remember back before Iron Man was a complete dickhead. Well, before he was a dickhead who wanted to put people in concentration camps. Yeah, Iron Man stories were fun to read back then. He was a smart, brave guy who used his technology to kick serious ass. For justice!

I never thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to the upcoming Iron Man movie more than I am to Frank Miller's The Spirit. Not even Samuel L. Jackson's involvement gives me hope.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite Iron Man covers:

#149

Tony's coming after Dr. Doom! Look at that eye! It's filled with malevolence! Doom does not care about freakin' repulsor rays. He's all, "Bring it on, billionaire boy!" The image is unusual and (pun intended) eye catching. Awesome cover!



#182

This cover is evocative, well-designed and uses the whole page to get its point across. In fact, it reminds me of Eisner's work on The Spirit. OH, GOD! WHY, WHY, WHY IS FRANK MILLER DIRECTING IT?! WHY!?!

Sorry...I'm better now.



#227

This is my favorite Iron Man cover ever. It comes from my favorite Iron Man storyline ever. Tony discovers that a lot of the armored bad guys out there have stolen their designs from his models. So, he invents a device that fries Iron-Man-type armor and he goes after every single suit he can find. Unfortunately, this means that he goes after good guys like Stingray and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Mandroids as well as bad guys like The Beetle.

I like it when there are word balloons on covers and Iron Man's question here tells you everything you need to know about his character.




-=Special Bonus Covers=-


The cover to #128 is one of the most famous Iron Man covers. It didn't make the cut of my favorites list but I couldn't resist putting it together with the French version. Sacré bleu!!!



No comments: