4/19/07

Immortal Iron Fist #4 - Marvel (2007)



I have no problems with comics that make me think. I appreciate comics which make me sad. But the comics I love are the ones which are fun. The Immortal Iron Fist is fun with a captial "F". I've gone on and on about how much I like this title already so I won't repeat myself (much). I will, however, point out what I like about this issue.

Iron Fist is one of the first comic-book characters I really got into. I picked up an issue of Power Man and Iron Fist back in the '80s and I was hooked. That title was the first one I actively sought out back issues for. Check out some of my favorite covers. I thought the whole kung-fu thing was awesome and I really enjoyed learning about the mythology surrounding the legend of the Iron Fist. This new series by Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction and David Aja expands that mythology and makes it even cooler.

Orson Randall, the dude who became The Iron Fist before Danny Rand, meets up with Danny this issue and they go kick ass together. Danny's like, "Who let the old dude dress up in my clothes?" and Orson's like, "Don't teach yer grandma to suck eggs, boy". I'm paraphrasing. Orson shows Danny what many years of practice can do for one who possesses the power of the Iron Fist and that's all you really need to know.

Lots of Hydra. Lots of action. Lots of great art and writing. Lots of fun. This is what I read comics for.

Click on the pictures below to embiggen them in new windows:




No comments: