4/25/07

Runaways #25 - Marvel (2007)



If you're a fan of Joss Whedon's writing (as I am) you'll like this issue. If you're a fan of The Runaways (again, as I am) you'll like it, too. There's nothing Earth-shattering (or even senses-shattering) going on here but Whedon is off to a good, solid start. He gets the characters and their relationships and he gets what makes the various elements of the Marvel Universe work. New York is where all the other heroes and villains are so I'm looking forward to seeing where Whedon goes with this.

The art by Michael Ryan and Rick Ketchum is good and works well with the story but I really got used to Alphona and Yeung so it'll take a couple more issues before this feels like "The Runaways" to me. The new art team captures something about each of the characters I really like, though. I'm glad they're on this job.

I don't have much more to say about this issue without spoiling a couple of small surprises so I'll just close with a sample of the art:

No comments: