10/6/05

Devil Dinosaur #1 (of 1) - Marvel (2005)



Eric Powell!

Devil Dinosaur!!

Kirby-inspired!!

That's pretty much all I need to say in this review. You'll make up your own mind about what those elements mean to you.

However, I will go into a bit more detail:

This story takes place in a time before recorded history. When things were simpler and gods walked the earth, barely noticing the lesser creatures around them. I am, of course, referring to the Silver Age.

Powell (writing & drawing) and Tom Sniegoski (writing) knock this one out of the park. It's a silly, bombastic story with time travel, fightin' and aliens in Kirby suits. The page below has most of the artistic elements that make this book the most fun thing I've read in weeks:



As you can see above, J.D. Mettler's colors are spectacular. The page which puts it all together is best shown in a larger size than my blog can handle so I provide this link.

This issue also contains a reprint of a 1960 Jack Kirby/Dick Ayers story which features the first appearance of Xemnu who shows up in a few early Defenders issues, this one, for example. It's is a bargain at twice the price!

If the other ones in this series are this good, I'll buy the individual issues and consider picking up the inevitable trade just to loan to my friends.

3 comments:

p'La said...

Brian, hey thanks for introducing this one on your blog. Kirk and I are really into it because we think there are not enough fun reads on the shelf. shame this one was only a one shot! =(

p'La said...

almost forgot to remind ya that Eric Powell will be in your neck of the woods this weekend! he is supposed to be visiting the October Comic and Horror Festival in Nashville.
by the way Brian, I lived in Goodlettsville, TN- for about 7 yrs. when my parents retired, my dad bought a small fishing lodge on the Tims Ford Lake, near Tullahoma, TN. I followed them and worked in Nashville for awhile.

Vaklam said...

Hi, P'la. I agree with you on all counts about this comic. I'm really looking forward to Fin Fang Four, as well.

I won't be able to make it to the Horror Festival this weekend but I did meet Eric at the last DragonCon.

The Tims Ford area is beautiful. I haven't been back there in years. I've lived in Nashville since 1991 and I have some friends who still live in Goodlettsville.