8/1/07

Weird-Ass Cover Wednesday: World of Fantasy

World of Fantasy was published during the mid-to-late fifties. Lee, Kirby, and Ditko all worked on it and it is one of the prime exemplars of the phrase "They don't make 'em like this anymore".

Since this is Blog Positivity Week I want to point out how much I love these old-school covers. They went out of their way to sell the book in a manner that the pinups of today can't match. Behold the majesty that is World of Fantasy!

#13



This one apparently takes place in the back room of a comic store. I think all you retailers can relate to the difficulty of unloading that last Spider Jerusalem figure. That's a typo, there, you see. It was supposed to say "The Unsold Man".

#19


I Saw Him!! I Saw Him!!

Yeah, the dude's kinda hard to miss.

I like that the denizens of the 5th Galaxy wear such comfortable-looking shoes. He's rockin' some mad sandals, there. Also, check out the non-Euclidean way that the cop in the foreground is shooting at the Gargoyle. He's so freaked out he's bending the laws of space and time.

#11


This is my favorite one of the week. I love the fact that the cover text never mentions that the guy is tiny. It's as if being small is the least of his worries compared to the fog, the scientist, and the nightmare. If that's the case, I don't want to be anywhere near those other three!

#15


Man, some people will do anything to find out what happens on the second season of Heroes.

No comments: