6/1/07

Marvel Adventures: Iron Man #1 - Marvel (2007)



A while back I mentioned that I long for the days when Iron Man was fun. Well, Marvel has answered my plea with this Marvel Adventures tale.

It's a re-worked origin story for shellhead which hits all the right notes for me. It even obliquely references my favorite Iron Man storyline of all time: Stark Wars. The story is simple and good and doesn't require deep analysis so I'm not going to go into detail. It's got technology, explosions, battles and A.I.M!

Writer Fred Van Lente gets what makes Tony Stark click and he strikes a balance between "fighty" and "thinky" to show that Stark is a genius who's not afraid to get his hands dirty when it comes to fighting bad guys. The art by James Cordeiro and Scott Koblish is outstanding. Iron Man's armor looks powerful and the "special effects" are brilliant. Also, the color by Martegod Gracia makes everything shiny and cool as it should be.

The only complaint I have about this story is that it was not immediately obvious that it was an origin tale but that did not keep me from thoroughly enjoying this book.

Summary: Yay! Iron Man!

No comments: